Monday, February 16

This is...

If you are a regular visitor of this page, you should know that I do not choose a poem unless it speaks with me in a language that is evoking. Usually I look for three elements in a poem and if I like a poem I know that one of those cherished elements must be there or I should not have been interested in it. Firstly, be it a rhythmic verse or a blank one, a poem must show me a working of an imagination. In other word, a poem should be an “implication of a superior form of creation” just like the Greeks would have had it. Secondly, it should come to me as a revelation of a secret, almost divine in nature, and that means that the poet should have been an able creature of vast talent in using the language and words for the sole purpose of revelation. Thirdly, a poem should be a piece of writing that its words “are chosen for their sound and images they suggest,” and not for their “obvious meanings”. So, having explained all that was necessary for me to clear out, we now turn to this week’s selected poem, This Is Just To Say, by William Carlos Williams (1883-1963).


This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plumes
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


William Carlos Williams (1883-1963)

No comments: