Friday, February 27

"...the marriage of true mindes"

Every week when I select a poem for you to read, I choose that which presents itself to me in the most persistent manner. This week it was William Shakespeare’s Sonnet 116, “the marriage of true mindes”. I shall not tell you what the sonnet is about, because you will find that out if you read the poem carefully, but I’ll tell you one thing. Whenever one reads a poem one should be freely in the possession of the poetic language. In other word, let the poet charm you for that’s his/her job. (The spellings of some words are, as you can see, not our contemporary spellings of words such as doome [doom], foole [fool] and many others. So, it would be wise to have a good olde OED around when you read a 16th-Century poem.

And now, my dear viewers enjoy Sonnet 116.


Let me not to the marriage of true mindes
Admit impediments, love is not love
Which alters when it alteration findes,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O, no, it is an ever fixed marke
That lookes on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to ever wandring barke,
Whose worths unknowne, although his higth be taken.
Lov’s not Times foole, though rosie lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickles compasse come,
Love alters not with his breefe houres and weekes,
But beares it out even to the edge of doome:
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It' s the first time I have heard that in Macedonia, obits are an unusual observe. You have wonderfully written the post. I have liked your way of writing this. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you! I usually needed to write in my site a thing like that. Am i able to consider component of yourpost to my weblog?