Sunday, August 12

An Author's Profession of Faith



Thomas Paine (1737-1809)


“I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life.
But, lest it should be supposed that I believe many other things in addition to these, I shall…declare the things I do not believe and my reasons for not believing them...All national institutions of churches…appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
I do not mean by this declaration to condemn those who believe otherwise; they have the same right to their belief as I have to mine. But it is necessary to the happiness of man, that he be mentally faithful to himself. Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe.” (The Age of Reason, chp.1)



Katayoun

5 comments:

RoxieAmerica said...

Excellent quote for today's world.

Bita said...

Roxie,

Thanks for your support

katayoun

Babak said...

Religion is one rear area that no regulation, oversight, and accountability apply! Do I need to explain as why I need to scratch my balls beside my head for that matter?

Bita said...

babak jan,

you need not explain it, dear. We can figure that one out!

thanks for your visit

SERENDIP said...

Paine is my hero. I love Thomas Paine. He should be read by everyone in the world.

LOL@bita.