Friday, March 2

Storm in Toronto



Georgia O'Keefe: Winter Cottonwoods, 1954

This is the second time that I see snow storm dismantling Toronto. The storm started at around 1:30 p.m. and by 4:00 p.m. the streets were awful, the subway carts were packed, the buses were running late, the accidents had closed some major roads, highways, and a derailed train which has stopped the commuters from going back to their dwellings, outside Toronto. And most of the flights at Pearson International airport have been cancelled due to the condition.

Now, at 12:43 a.m. of this day of March 2nd of the year 2007, the wind is gusting through, and a good Fifteen Centimeter of snow has covered the streets like a white puffy carpet. The wind is whimpering outside of window; I can even feel the cold, though I am sitting behind my desk, wearing two pairs of socks, a nice war cardigan, and a scarf around my neck. And I am not even living in the wilderness, but the city of Toronto.

How hopeless we are, when faced with the wrath of nature, when faced with a more powerful One?


Katayoun

No comments: